Running For Two

Crossing the finish line at the 2019 Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon
After a solid victory at the Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon this past April, I knew that I needed some much-needed down time, especially coming off an intense cycle of marathon training. Summers in Oklahoma are incredibly hot and humid, so I have an unwritten rule to never race anything more than a 5k or 12-mile long run during this time of unbearable and at times unsafe heat. This means that workouts are typically short and sweet with just a tad more intensity, hence the annual "Track Tuesday" summer workouts. When I heard that we would be in town this year for the 3rd annual ProAm road mile, a part of the ProAm bike race, I knew I could muster up a few more weeks of training to produce a good showing.

ProAm Mile
The race went well. I ended up finishing as the first female in 5:00 on a hilly course, even though I was so desperately hoping that I still had a sub-5:00 in my legs. What left me frustrated with my effort, however, was that 5:00 felt hard! My legs were heavy, I had a little cramp in my right calf, and my heart rate was through the roof. I brushed off my frustrations and chalked my fatigue up to the tail-end of some intense training. It was time for a break. After all, I had some fun things to look forward to, especially my middle sister's wedding on June 15.

The trip to Lincoln was amazing, spending time in my old stomping grounds of Lincoln, Nebraska, catching up with family and hometown friends, and most importantly, supporting my sister on her big day. Missy and I were even able to run her final run as a single lady together. Even through this 3.5 mile trot, my leg cramp lingered and I began feeling perpetually bloated. Was it the stress of having to deliver her wedding toast that evening in front of a large crowd? Nope. A little test taken on June 17 confirmed the cause of my symptoms.
10 weeks- Fireball 5K- Ada, OK. July 4, 2019.

Surprise! We're pregnant!

To preface, this was not a complete surprise. After the Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon Jazz and I decided to lift the barriers, so to say. We weren't actively "trying," but weren't preventing anything from happening and leaving it in God's hands. Let's just say that it didn't take long! I say this a humbly and as grateful as possible, knowing that many couples are not as fortunate and struggle with infertility. We are just so thankful for our gift, and I just want to communicate our story as open and honestly as possible. We know that God's timing is also perfect, and this was our time to become parents.

Wow...Parents.

15 weeks- 2019 Brookhaven 5K
The next few months flew by like a blur, but one thing remained constant; I was able to run my entire pregnancy. At 6 weeks pregnant on July 4, baby and I finished as the top female at the Fireball 5K in Ada. At 10 weeks, we finished as the first overall female at the Hotter 5K in Oklahoma City, and at 15 weeks, baby girl road along with her mama for a 4th place finish at the Brookhaven Run (18:02) in Norman, OK. After these races, I pretty much stopped "training" and just tried to stay healthy by doing daily 4-5-mile runs. This period of running was so enjoyable for me, because there was no pressure to complete a certain workout, hit a certain time, or run a certain number of weekly miles. My husband was also recovering from his Achilles tear, so we were able to slowly run together.


Thanksgiving morning- 28 weeks pregnant
Towards about 35 weeks onward, I was definitely slower and heavier and could not muster more than a 3-mile run due to some aching feet and back pain, but that didn't stop us from going on our daily jogs right up until two days before I delivered. Funny story: Jazz, my father-in-law, Alfredo, and myself made a trip to the Dallas metro to IKEA to replace a mattress and purchase a dresser for baby the day before I went into labor. While eating dinner at Pappadeaux's, I even experienced my first Braxton-Hix "practice labor" contractions, but I didn't really think much of it. Surprise was an understatement when my water broke at 3:30 am the following morning, 3 weeks before baby's due date!




At 1:40 pm on February 2, 2020 (02-02-2020, Super Bowl Sunday, Groundhog Day, and a rare Palindrome Day), mi corazón, Sadie Jane Carreon, made her grand entrance into the world, all six pounds, 7 ounces, and 20 inches of pure perfection. We are so in love. Currently, I am really enjoying my down time from running, but am enjoying getting outside for some walks. Next week I may start some easy jogging again. My goal is to participate in the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon Relay on April 26, running a 5k leg. Until then, I'm just working on banking some naps while I can!

Sporty Sadie














Comments

Popular Posts